Wednesday 5 October 2011

Case Study - Taveran Todorov

Tzveran Todorov - Narrative Theory

- Tzveran Todorov is a Franco-Bulgarian philosopher.
- Age 72 

I did this to look at a different vue on the media and what theory he has come up with. I am also doing this to see if his theory can help me in my own media text. I also thought that it would be good to have more than one theroist on my blog and the ideas that he has come up with, linking them to music videos.

What are the key points of his ‘narrative theory’?

The way that stories and characters are seen in media texts

5 keys ideas…

1.    Equilibrium Normal life/balance
2.    Disruption Normality is disrupted
3.    Realisation Characters accept disruption
4.    Reparation Fixing the disruption
5.    New equilibrium balance, but different  

Example – The Hangover

1.    Equilibrium: There is a group of male friends all going to a stag do for there friend in Las Vegas.
2.    Disruption: They have a night out and wake up not remembering anything.
3.    Realisation: They realise that the groom is missing and they need to find him.
4.    Reparation: All the humorous things they do to try and find the groom around Las Vegas.
5.    New equilibrium: They find the groom, get him back on time and he gets married. 


Why is this important in studying media?

This is important as I can decide in my own media text whether to use his theory in my music video. I think that it does apply to some music videos such as Jason Durulo, what if. However, I do think that this can mainly be applied to film. 

How can you apply his theory to your research/project?

I can appeal this it my research by looking at some example of music videos with his theory and seeing if I want to make I similar one or not.

I have learnt from doing this that I will not be using he theory in my media text as I don't think it really appeals to the type of genre. I did think about it but there is just not enough time in the music video or a strong enough idea to make his theory evident in my text.

This theorist may have some good ideas but there is not really any way in which I can link it to my music video I have a story but it does not fit into the things that he says it should. Therefore, concluding that it is not relevant to music videos as much but defiantly to films.

1 comment:

  1. A good summary of his ideas - and it is good to see you have considered how you could apply his theory to your work and concluded that it would not work. Independent thought is good! - Mr Thorogood

    ReplyDelete