Friday 18 November 2011

Institutional Research

Institutional Research - Companies

I did this to show where my music video would be seen to show that it is suitable for the real world and will look convincing to the audience. This also shows that I have done research into the institution that I am making the music video for, I have done a detailed research of a company that I think could show my music video.  

Island Records


Who are they?

Island records are a record company that produce and have artists such as Florence and the Machine, Bob Marley, Ben Howard, Jack Johnson, James Morrison etc. These are the artist that they have that is closest to the genre of the song for my music video. Island records may have there own website and seen to exist as there own company but they don’t they are now a subsidiary company meaning that are now joint with Universal Records.

What kind of texts do they produce?

Island records produce videos for the artists music that are then shown on music channels on TV and online. Along with this they also produce the album artwork for the albums. They get there budget for each artist from Universal and the more successful and artist becomes the bigger the budget. The have created a website for Island records (see above) with things such as list of artists, gigs, island TV etc.
 
 
Where will my text exist in the real world?

My text in the ‘real world’ would exist on music channels on TV. The channels that I think my music video would be shown on are VIVA, 4Music, T4, MTV, Freshly Squeezed and E4. I think that it will be shown on these channels as it is song and video that I could see in the charts so it would be shown on chart shows on this channel.

The song is mainstream, kind of old song that could be re released with a new video. I think that music video have benefited the music industry as it give the artists a chance to market themselves as a brand not just there music but they can get across how they want to be represented and what sort of music they are creating with the help of a visual.

The opportunities to have my music video shown online and other places other than TV are greatly increases in the modern say with more and more technology. Being able to have music videos shown online means that it is passed around more easily and shown world wide not just in the UK.

If I was commissioned to make a music video/Ad campaign for Island Records I would…

1. My text is very similar as in it have the same sort of music as what Island Records produces and some of the videos that they make. In addition, my text will have (like Island Records) the artist featured in the video at some point with a guitar in a plain setting singing the lyrics.

2. I think that my text looks like a real product as I have young attractive girl in it that you would expect to see in a music video. Also, the stunning locations that I have chosen have helped in my text looking very convincing as music video.

3. I think my text is best for them as it links well with the artist style and looks very pretty and could been seen on a music channel. The concept of the video is very emotional and will spark a reaction from the audience.

4. If I had a budget for my music video I would use it to get shows such as high angle over the location by using a helicopter. In addition, i would have more location featured and more countries not just the UK in my video, I would fly my character out to places like the Caribbean to create more beautiful locations.

Why would my Music Video work?

I think that my music video would work as a real media product and Island Records would want to represent is as my artist is a new artist 'Toby Greenford'. I think this would work to my advantage as a business product I have created a professional looking album package and magazine advert to show the artist and his music. He is a west country artist so a lot of people will relate to him as a normal guy that loves his music. I really think that the whole business package that I have created will look attractive to a label like Island records with the new fresh sounds, the interesting and personal plot of the music video, along with the continuity of all the tasks together show that it is complete package and would be successful.

I have learnt a lot from this task as I have seen where my music video can be shown and what sort of companies are out there to put money behind the project and where the real world.  This has helped me in my research task of my project as it made me truly think of where my product would been seen in the real world.

I really liked researching this and having ideas on what I would have done to make my music video better gave me more imagination and made me think of things that are possibly for me to and shots that I could use like the one where the character is going up the stairs and it is a complete close up (she is holding the camera).

1 comment:

  1. Beth,

    This research is fine, you make some nice points regarding institutional context.

    However, there are a couple of issues. There are some spelling and grammatical errors. These are more likely to be penalised at A2 Level by the examiner. For example, incorrect use of the word 'there' when referring to something that is owned by somebody. In this instance you must use 'their', I.e., 'island records use their recording artists'

    There are also some issues with lower case 'i' to refer to yourself. You also use 'and' instead of 'an' on one occasion. I suggest that you go back through all of your posts to correct these errors.

    Secondly, you refer to the fact that you are not going to be showing the artist in the music video. However, in light of our conversation, I think that your video will improve through a visual reference to the artist, as it will help you to achieve the brief of producing a 'promotional piece'

    ReplyDelete