Friday 4 November 2011

Regulating Bodies Reasearch

OFCOM GUIDELINES:

I did this to show what are the rules that I have to stick to while making decisions about the content of my music video. I have to do this to make sure my music video is suitable for the target audience and isn't offensive or rude for younger viewers.

What is OFCOM?

OFCOM stands for the “Office of Communications”. It is an organisation that regulates TV and radio sectors, ensuring people who watch TV and listen to the radio are protected from harmful or offensive material. OFCOM also protects people from being treated unfairly in television and radio shows.

Under 18s – sexual content, drugs and language

OFCOM feel it is very important to protect under 18’s from harmful and offensive material. They understand that younger viewers can be easily influenced by what they watch on TV so have created laws that programme makers must abide by.They believe that programme makers should always consider the impact that the representation of the use of illegal drugs, the abuse of drugs, smoking, solvent abuse and the misuse of alcohol, may have on younger viewers.

Violence

OFCOM also regulate the amount of violence that can be shown within a programme. They are concerned in areas with the use of accessible domestic implements such as knives, or other offensive weapons.

Offensive language

Also an area of concern for OFCOM. They understand that it is a feature of British life and in certain contexts it has an appropriate place in broadcasting. However, there is a concern with the harm it may have to young children who may be watching. There is a concern that children may imitate this offensive language even when their parents or carers have told them it is wrong. A variety of music videos are watched by children. However, OFCOM are concerned where song lyrics may cause offence, and ask broadcasters too possibly use track remixes or edits. Some videos will only be shown after watershed if OFCOM believe the video will cause serious harm and offence to young watchers.

Under 18’s – employed in film/video

OFCOM takes extreme caution and has rules that all broadcasters must comply with if any under eighteen appears in or participates in a programme. Broadcasters must always take into consideration the child’s welfare. If a participant is under sixteen, OFCOM asks broadcasters to ensure that there is consent from a parent, guardian or other person over eighteen. When given consent by parents or guardians, OFCOM believe it is the broadcaster’s duty to make sure the parent understands the full implications of their child’s participation. Programme makers are told to highlight both the positive and negative likely outcomes from participating in programme.

Flashing Images

Flashing images can cause seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy. This is why OFCOM have specific guidelines for broadcasters who use flashing images in their programme. OFCOM say that all broadcasters should give a clear warning before the programme starts that flashing images may occur.

My Music Video

In my music video I am not planning on showing sexual content, drug use or violence in my text so these guidelines do not apply I have looked through them though rally and if my idea changes I may have to look at them again. The song that I have chosen doesn’t have any offensive language or anything that goes against the OFCOM guidelines. However, I will be using under 18’s in my video, so I will have to ensure that no harm can be done when filming. Also, I am using an under 16 for my video but getting permission should not be problem as the under 16 is my younger sister.

The things that I have learnt...

- Seeing that in quite alot of music videos there are flashing images and there are guidelines I am just not going to use these.

- I have learnt that there are guidelines on using under 18's in my video without the correct permission. I have planned on using a an under 18 but as she is my sister I have got the permission and she will not be exposed to any inappropriate material.

- I know that I cannot show any violence, with things like knives or offensive weapons.

I learnt from this what the precise guidelines are and what I have to include. This helped me to look at the content of my music video and really look at it in detail. The guidelines really help me in understanding what I am aloud to show and all of the things I am not aloud to show in the video I am not showing any drugs, sex, violence and I have the permission from the mother of the under 18 to be used in my video as she is my sister.

1 comment:

  1. Beth,

    The research into Ofcom is fine, I am happy that you are putting this into your own words rather than cutting and pasting areas of the Ofcom website to your own work.

    However, your concluding paragraph is weaker. It is good that you are showing the reader what you have learned BUT it is far too brief. You say that you have learnt 'what I have to include'.

    Okay, then you MUST tell the reader these things or otherwise they will have to guess. So, use a bullet point list and, even if it is only 3 or 4 points, tell the reader some of the content that you now know you CAN or CANNOT include

    ReplyDelete