Saturday 24 September 2011

Screen Grabs - Convention of an Acoustic Video

Examples...

Birdy- Skinny Love

I did this to show the convention in a visual way so you can actually see them instead of having to picture them. I did this for my audience and myself as it will help me to have a visual thing to show the correct shots for a pop music video. I had to do this as well because I decided to do an acoustic music video with the song 'Skinny Love - Bon Iver.' As I have changed my idea I had to make the conventions of the new genre clear to see if I want to stick to them or challenge them. The video that I have chosen to show the conventions is the same song 'Skinny Love' but it is by a different artist 'Birdy' so this showing the convention off and shows me what I can achieve with my video and what conventions look good.


1. Shots of the performer ether singing the song or playing an instrument e.g. In this screen grab the artist is singing and playing the piano. The video is also most of the time focused on one man or women singing about their feelings. I have done this in my own music video but I have chosen not to feature the artist as much I have a few shots of the artist in my video on a plain white background playing the guitar and singing the lyrics.


2. The location tends to be an isolated area ether run down or very beautiful setting. However, the place can also be a place that reminds the person or who/what they are singing about. I have totally stuck to this setting as I though that the this convention is important and the locations around where I live are very beautiful and isolated. This going with my idea of a single girl going and a jounrey confronting her feelings about the divorce of her parents, so her being isolcated shows her own personal trip.


3. Slow pace editing so that it fits with the gentle pace of the song. The shot above shows the run down and isolation of the person and how they are reflecting on their feelings. This is evident in my music video as the average pace of editing is 5-10 seconds so this is a slow pace showing the personal trip though her memories and the feelings that are felt along with the finding of the photos.


I learnt from this that the conventions can either be stuck to or changed they are only guidelines to what a music video might look like taken from ones previously made in that genre so that it is made the norm. I think I have mainly stuck to the conventions seen above as I think if you deviate to much from them the outcome would be to odd and the audience might not understand it, making it not a successful in my prime existence to entertain and sell the artists albums and music.

I like the overall effect of my music video with the conventions that I have used the setting of the stunning natural beauty and the moorland really shows a link between the song and the mise-en-scence and how I have thought about it and what conventions I think will work for the song I have chosen. The song I have chosen is also good as it doesn't have an official music video already made so this challenging me to make the decisions on what conventions to use.
f

No comments:

Post a Comment