Friday 9 September 2011

Email - Asking Permission

Re: Music permission

This is the email that I am going to send off to the record company to enquire about the copyright music permission. I have made my letter using complex vocab to make myself and the school look professional and so there is a higher chance that they will reply. Even if i do not get a reply from this, i think this is good evidence that i have attempted to contact them. I did this to show that i have made an effort to contact the copyright owners.


The image above shows the web page of the record label that owns Bon Iver and the song 'Skinny Love'. You can see this from the image of the artist on the web page and the artist name.


The image above shows the email that sent as proof that I have made an effort to contact the record label to get permission to use their song. (See Above).

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am a year 13 student doing A-level media at Tavistock College in Devon.

I understand that you are the owner of the copyright in the musical composition of the song ‘Skinny Love’ by the artist Bon Iver. I would like to use this song in the production of making a music video as the featured song. This is only to be used for the practical area of my A-level course.   

The song used for my music video would only be viewed by teacher and the examiner. Also, would be put on a password protected site called ‘Blogger’ on this site it will only be viewed by my teacher, me and the examiner. This is the only viewing that the track would be used for and would not be put anywhere else. We have a limited budget at my school. We are hoping that you will allow us this use without any charge.  If this is not possible, please let us know what fee would be required for this use. 

It would be much appreciated if you could send a conformation email back to me as soon as you can with the information that will indicate that you will agree to permit this use song. Please let us know if you have any questions concerning this agreement.  Also would you please let us know as soon as possible if this song cannot be licensed so that I can change the song choice for my coursework.  You can reach us in care of Darren Bird Tavistock College, Crowndale Rd, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 8DD Phone number – 01822 614231


Thank you for your help with this matter and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours very truly,


Student - Bethany Neave


Teacher - Mr. DBird

I have learnt from this that it is important to make an effort and make the letter sound professional so the record label may reply. I did not get a reply from this record company so I carried on with the song of choice and I have made it obvious by sending this email that I have made a clear effort to contact them.

The email that I have written describes what the situation is and that I would like to use the song that they have copyright ownership of the song. I think that I have shown a keen interest in using there song and am disappointed not to get a response.

I was disappointed that I didn't get a response but it might have been for reasons like I may have the wrong email address, they are to busy to reply or my email didn't get looked at in the first place. However, I have still sent it to show I have tried to get permission for the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment